[cumbria_lug] Mandrake 9.2

Schwuk schwuk at schwuk.com
Wed Nov 5 17:30:28 GMT 2003

trevor at haven.demon.co.uk wrote:
> They buy a buggy and unreliable OS called Windows, with virtually no software
> for more than a hundred pounds at a time so spending say £5 on a mag with a distro on the cover is not going to break the bank and that would now cover SUSE 8.2 as well as several versions of Mandrake/debian/red hat, I have a frightning collection of distros big and small

I think you'll find most of them use what is given with the machine.
Very few 'consumers' will buy a (full) operating system. Upgrades are
another story...

> You don't need a bleeding edge, not even a <this years> distro just to try linux

Yes, but people want to use the latest & greatest. They want Gnome
2.4/KDE 3.whatever/OOo 1.1/Mozilla 1.5 etc...

Anybody who's been using Linux for any time will have a huge collection
of 'free' distros, but how many of them see any use after an intial try?

> If you want a user system thats well supported, easy to use, and good for playing games go buy Windows XP Home edition !

No, buy an (XBox|PS2|Gamecube) if you want games.

Most 'users' want the web, email, an office app and
solitaire/hearts/etc. Linux can more than fulfill that need, they just
don't know about it...

Cheers,
--
Schwuk