[cumbria_lug] Fedora Core 1 - First Impressions...

Schwuk schwuk at schwuk.com
Fri Nov 7 16:38:54 GMT 2003

Well, I've just finished installing Fedora Core 1. Have encountered two
problems so far:

1. During install the 2nd disk failed. Rebooted, ran the media check
(never normally bother) - which passed - and re-installed. No problems
this time...

2. My network card _still_ does not work. It's a 3COM 905TX. It's worked
under every OS I've thrown at it, but not this one. After a bit of
surfing, it appears to be a driver issue which can be worked around by
disabling kudzu (hardware detection). Hopefully a permanent fix will be
out soon. Apparently the problem isn't there in the 2.6 test kernels, so
I may try one of those soon.

Apart from that, everything is up and running. Gnome is 2.4, and very
nice (although I've changed the layout to be more like standard Gnome -
I don't like the way RH/Fedora configure it). The Bitstream Vera fonts
are installed by default now. Mozilla is 1.4.1. Evolution is 1.4 (I've
switched over to Evo from mozilla mail/thunderbird as I want the
calendar/contacts). Gaim is 0.71, so it will work with MSN out of the
box. OOo is 1.1 and still slow (on first startup at least) loading.
Ryhthmbox and Sound Juicer (media player and ripper based around the
GStreamer framework) are default now as well, although MP3 support is
still lacking OOTB. Ryhthmbox is an iTunes clone for the curious.

Time to get some of my old apps and the NVidia drivers installed...

Further details as events warrant...

Cheers,