[cumbria_lug] Fedora Core 1 - First Impressions...

Michael Saunders mike at aster.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Nov 8 00:31:36 GMT 2003

Bizarre! Just got in to find my FC download finished, so a quick burn
and install later and I'm in the same position.

Initial impressions: abysmally slow boot, even with various bits
chopped out, and sluggish in use as with RH 9. Some worrying gnome
panel segfaults, and why gconfd has to eat up 20 megs RAM is anybody's
guess, but efficiency doesn't seem to matter to GNOME coders :-)

Attractive, approachable, jam-packed with recent releases and related
components. Heaps of spit shine. Hideously slow though, with the odd
glitch here and there, and not something I'd feel happy giving to
newcomers -- no immediate surface-level improvements over Win XP.

Still, with some tweaks here and there it appears usable. Don't think
I'll be dumping Slack 9.1 any time soon though...

Mike

--
Michael Saunders
www.aster.fsnet.co.uk