[cumbria_lug] Review of Longhorn

Roger Cope roger.cope at morphaniel.com
Sat Nov 29 10:22:11 GMT 2003

I have a box set up with the Developer release of Longhorn and the
comparison is more apt than you'd think. Currently, the code is little more
than the 'Avalon' portion of the whole (the screen renderer). WinFS is not
included and judging by the huge number of standard Windows engineering
features that are missing when executed, there is not much under the hood.

Oddly, the screen redraws are abysmally slow on the machine I have it
running on (a 1.7GHz Pentium) and whilst one expects debug code up to the
eyeballs and non optimised video code, I was not expecting such a backwards
step. Dragging windows around, for instance, practically brings the machine
down, the strain is so much.

On the plus side (at least unless you're too far gone down the Linux
road...), the installation is now completely graphical, so MS has finally
caught up with Linux vendors like RedHat and SuSE and dialog boxes have a
gorgeous 'bouncing icon' feature in the left hand border (trust me, you have
to see it to appreciate it - some serious work has gone into it).

Roger