[cumbria_lug] 2.6 Kernel

Adam Pigg adam at piggz.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Nov 29 10:48:52 GMT 2003

Ive gone the same route, but maybe with a bit more success :)

I started off with an rpm of test5....no video, but i ssh'd in from a windows
box, edited my x config to use the standard nv driver, and i had X.  But now
mouse.  I was busy so i gave up.

Then downloaded an rpm of test9, even worse, no video and couldnt ssh in so
gave up with that one.

Then went for the biggie, got test11 source, configured it before going to bed
and left it building over night.  Installed this morning.  Again no video and
couldnt ssh in.  But i persisted this time.  Reconfigured kernel to have a
vga console, and edited lilo to not use a vga mode.  Installed, booted
and ........ i had the kernel output on screen atlast.  As it booted up the
mandrake hardware thing fired up asking to select my mouse type, i guess this
is where it was pausing at bootup, before sshd starts.

Well, i got into x, but still no mouse.  Dropped to a console and typed
'modprobe uhci-hcd' and the light on my mouse lit up.  The names of some
modules have changed in this version, which is why the standard init scripts
cant load the right drivers (it used to be called just uhci).

Sound worked fine, no extra configuration needed there.

But i wanted more, i wanted 3d x.

I downloaded the patch from www.minion.de, followed the instructions, and
ended up with an nvidia.ko module.  Edit X config to load the accelerated
driver, and it worked first time.

So my clean mandrake 9.2 is now running:
kernel 2.6.test11
kde from cvs
koffice from cvs
mplayer built from source
and numerous other source compiled sofware....and you know what, it feels
good :)

Here are some links for the brave:
http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html
www.minion.de
http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/799

Enjoy

Adam
On Friday 28 November 2003 17:06, Schwuk wrote:
> Well, I took the plunge and installed 2.6test11 on Fedora Core 1 last
> night/today.
>
> I tried the RPM's from http://people.redhat.com/arjanv/2.5/ - they
> installed flawlessly, but on rebooting, my NVidia driver failed (as I
> expected it to). Unfortunately, recompiling the kernel module was not
> straight forward. I followed the instructions at http://www.minion.de/
> (involving patching & recompiling the driver), but still no dice. Further
> down the page I noted a couple of warnings, in particular about arjanv's
> kernels, so it was time to roll my own. After another brief hiccup (ran out
> of disk space - d'oh!), I was up and running. Then I just has ALSA to
> configure for my (thankfully standard) SB Live.
>
> So, now my once standard FC1 machine is running kernel 2.6test11, KDE 3.2
> beta, and the FC testing updates! And still (surprisingly) fairly stable...
>
> 2.6 has fixed my problems with my 3C905TX as well - kudzu plays happily
> with it now.
>
> Next on the list? Another attempt at getting Kopete 8.0 beta running, then
> trying KDE from cvs.
>
> Oh, and I'm going to ask Santa for a new machine, this one is too damn slow
> at compiling! (Athlon 800 w/512MB)
>
> Cheers,

- --
adam at piggz.co.uk