[cumbria_lug] Dedicated Server

Mark Andrews mark at sricumbria.org
Wed Oct 1 22:32:52 BST 2003

Dear All,
I know this was something I was going to bring up at the meeting but I
wanted to try and get some idea on what people thought about getting a
dedicated server. I know it's been discussed before but nothing has been
done so far.
I have come up with some prices. I am assuming I can get 10 people to
want an account on it.

Dedicated Server:
Setup: £20 per person (maybe £10)
Monthly cost: £3 per person!! (1GB bandwidth)
1GB additional bandwidth £5
Domains: £2.50-£10

Basically this is like getting a hosting package and paying very little.
Also we will all ssh logins and a lot more control over the system.
If I am registering it in my name then I'd prefer to keep root access to
myself but will open it up at meetings where we can play with it. I
would also install software at anyone's request.
I would like to do it this way so I can also sell hosting from it. The
income from this would goto paying for it and to get a 2nd one. So
really we are investing a small amount to get a dedicated server to play
with that will pay for itself after a month or two.
There is obviously more ways to do this i.e. complete root access for
everyone but that will not pay for itself.
If we get a second one when I've sold some hosting packages then we can
make that useable by us only i.e. root access for everyone.
If any of you want to host a site then this is obviously a good deal as
you usually pay about £10 a month just for the hosting and you won't be
able to install your own software on it!!!
All admin will be done by a program called Ensim.
Just so you understand I am NOT wanting to make any money out of this
for myself. All the funds will go to the cLUG. For example of we had
enough money through hosting to buy 10 dedicated servers and we wanted
to do that then we could. Imagine that a dedicated server of your own,
drooooool!!!
Let me know if you are interested in this. We have to pay for 3 months
in advance but £9 is not much at all!!
There is VAT to go on the prices but that's just what I will pay.
Just so you can investigate the details I would buy the dedicated server
from http://www.oneandone.co.uk
Some of the service that you will be able to run are, unlimited domains
(at cost) unlimited subdomains, mySQL, Python, Perl and so on. Basically
if it's available for linux we can run it!

Please let me know if you are interested in getting a dedicated server
for the cLUG then please let me know. As soon as I get 5 people (ex. Me)
then I will be willing to order it. (setup will depend on num people).
The prices are based on 10 people so if we get more then the prices will
be reduced and refunds for the difference. If we go ahead with this then
it might be a good idea to setup some bank account to deal with any
money coming in.

If we go down the selling hosting route then I have a plan for it. I.e.
setup a limited company and will run it from my office in Aspatria
gaining clients through the wireless broadband service we are selling.

As you might be able to guess I have thought about this in great deal.
I have only listed part of the plan.
In summary,
You will pay £20 setup, £3 a month (+vat) you get a very high spec
hosting account and will receive you money back within a month or two.
I am very keen to do this as I am 95% confident we can get a 2nd on
which we then can play with  in any way we want after 2 months.
If I receive £190 (+vat) *shared* between 10 people I can get it setup
and 3 months rental at the meeting next week I can then order it with a
2 day turnaround.
We will get a static IP and will receive 1 domain. If you want your own
domain extra they are at cost (oneandone charges)

Please get back to me if you're interested. I strongly recommend we do
this as it is so cheap. If money is a problem then email me and I can
sort something out (maybe!!)

I hope to hear from you soon,

Mark Andrews (B-boy)