[cumbria_lug] Greetings

Mark Andrews - SRI Ltd markeandrews at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 29 00:46:50 BST 2003

Hello,
Just thought I’d email to say hi and introduce myself.
I am 21 and I work as the ICT Support Engineer for SRI we are the ones
who will be installing your wireless broadband connections!! Currently
Wigton and Silloth are are first installation points. We are
experiencing delays with having to apply for planning permission but as
a linux user and member of CLUG I will let you guys know as soon as I
know anything. I have checked on the database and we have 3 users signed
up that say they are using Linux. I guess they are people in CLUG.
Anyway a little bit about myself, I am (regrettably) largely a windoze
user. I have recently got into Linux. I’ve used computers since I was 4
and programming (BASIC on Amstrad cpc464!!) when I was 5. I’ve used
various forms of x86 machines. Currently I have a 2ghz p4, 750mhz Duron,
1600xp Laptop (smashed screen :-() and on Tuesday I get my replacement
2.2ghz laptop (nice!!). I use WinXP mainly but am testing distros at the
moment. I like Mandrake but just got Debian which I will install on the
750mhz tomorrow.
I am a programmer through and through. I am a guru in PHP and am
learning ASP for work projects. For .exe type programming I use Delphi
and C++. My ‘primary trade’ is web tech stuff. I used to run a company
called Viewline Ltd (viewlineltd.com) which I rescued from the grave for
a mate.
Back to stuff to do with CLUG, I have the skills and resources to run a
standalone website. Also being part of SRI I may be able to promote
CLUG.
When is the next meeting for CLUG? I might be able to help with a venue.
In Aspatria we have a resource centre with meeting rooms, We also have a
1Mbit connection to the net (Satellite). We might have to pay a small
fee for use of a room (8 Win2k Machines plus 8 WinXP laptops and a
projector, plus my linux box) but it’s less than £10 for an evening
which would share down to virtually nothing! If a pub is more the place
to meet I can probably get the internet relayed over to the pub across
from the office and WiFi’d for us laptop owners.
As you can tell I am looking to be an active member of CLUG, Linux
doesn’t get much of a mention in and around Cumbria and I’d like that to
change. It is an awesome OS and has so much potential for the home user.
For example, I put the knoppix DVD into my machine and booted it up. It
detected my WiFi card and detected the SSID and internet settings
automatically. I was from an empty machine to a fully surfable machine
in less than 5 minutes, no installation!!! It’s not the best solution as
it boots off DVD but hey it was great!
Does CLUG have a membership structure? Is there some ‘boss type person’?
I also might have a small bit of work for anyone who can setup a decent
cache server and firewall. We have one in the office and I want to make
it more secure.
You may have noticed I am a bit of a newbie at Linux but with a very
strong Win/DOS background I cam picking things up quickly. I used to
think Linux was hard to use but being able to install things as easy as
I have done has proved me wrong.
Well it’s past midnight so I’d better get going for tonight. If anyone
in the Wigton area is able to meet up to talk about linux in the next
few days send an email markATsricumbria.org (replace AT with @). I will
be talking to Bill Knowles (SRI project manager) to see what we can do
to benefit CLUG i.e. free use of the meeting room.
Something that might be a good idea depending on numbers is to organise
a whole day event where we can play with linux boxes all day!. (bring
your own base unit).
Aspatria is a pretty good location as it is fairly easy for the
Whitehaven and Wigton members.
I hope that I can be and active and useful member of CLUG. I have lots
of ideas and resources that could be of use,

Bye for now,
Mark Andrews (b-boy)