[cumbria_lug] Re: Cumbria Digest, Vol 29, Issue 5

Russ Phillips avantman42 at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 7 12:53:07 BST 2004

cumbria-request at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote:
> [...]

There's an interesting theory on E-Week:

<quote>
Thus, Microsoft's open-source code will work only on
Microsoft-proprietary XML to produce Microsoft-proprietary installation
programs. With open source like this, who needs proprietary programs?
</quote>

Apparently, the 1998 Halloween memo talked about doing this sort of
thing as part of MS's plans to de-rail open source. I don't know if the
writer has worked out what MS is up to, but he puts forward an
interesting and plausible theory.

Russ