[cumbria_lug] Dilemma...

Schwuk schwuk at schwuk.com
Fri Apr 16 10:28:25 BST 2004

I'm in process of writing YACMS (Yet Another Content Managment System),
but before I get too far into the development I need to overcome a
dilemma I'm having...

Is it better to design technically, or for portability?

My first real experience of RDBMS's was MySQL with Perl & PHP, doing all
the clever stuff in code. Then I moved onto MSSQL and ASP.NET, moving
stuff from code into the DB where applicable (views, stored procedures
and triggers) and producing much leaner code.

For my YACMS, my preference would be to use PostgreSQL over MySQL as
that would allow me to use the DB features I'm used to, but I believe
(hope) other people may want to use it. I'll be using a DB extraction
layer like PEARs DB, so porting between DBs should be straight forward,
but it's the database features I want to design for, not a particular
database. The project will be OSS, so people can change it as they see
fit, but I don't really want to lock out non-developers either.

So, should I go the technical high road or the portability low road?

Cheers,
--
Schwuk
http://www.schwuk.com