[cumbria_lug] Help with file sharing between redhat linux & mac OS X

Trevor Pearson trevor at haven.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 18 21:29:56 BST 2004

In message <1082303152.4082a2b016a2f at www.boltblue.com>,
guy.murray at boltblue.com writes
>Having set up a lan between my PC/linux box and my imac and successfully pinged
>both ways, I find myself stuck.
>
>The red hat logon tells my NFS server is alive and kicking, but I can't seem to
>get the redhat-config-nfs command to respond, either from the command line or
>the menu.
>
>Any ideas?
Guy,
I suggest you check the following text files on your linux box,
/etc/hosts  Is your OSX machine listed with it's i.p. Or are you using
DHCP ?
/etc/nsswitch.conf to make sure you havn't got NIS enabled anywhere
Are you trying to run the  NFS server on your linux box or on your imac
?
Have you tried running say a web server/browser to check connections. ?
I wouldn't be surprised if one machines firewall was blocking the
connection either

>Is NFS the appropriate way to fileshare between linux and OS X?

It is one way, On a lan it is useful. Use it myself at home between 3
linux and one XP machine.

>Guy

Trevor Pearson