[cumbria_lug] UserGroup...

Schwuk schwuk at schwuk.com
Thu Apr 22 09:52:31 BST 2004

Jen Phillips wrote:
> There's one thing I'd like to see on that list, and that's some kind of
> picture gallery or photo album. Dad wants to be able to put up pictures of
> the last walk, and I'm sure other groups would make use of being able to put
> up pictures of their last event, too.

Definitely. It was on my list once, but it wasn't once of the things I
was concentrating so it slipped off my radar...

> So, it would be possible for Dad to be the only one to be able to add new full
> articles in one part of the site, but anyone could add summaries in a
> different section? Am I understanding it right? If I am, it sounds pretty
> good.

If that's the way he chose to work it, yes. At the moment I was planning
on all Articles (regardless of type) being published to the 'front
page', but I suppose it makes sense for this to be customisable as well.

> Easy is a good thing. Plus, I doubt many people will really need anything
> particularly fancy, so I don''t think it really needs full HTML or anything.

This is one of the reasons Textile appeals to me - it's very simple
(both to use and learn), and doesn't interfere with the content creation.

> Hey! It's just like using MSWord! Even my dad could manage that!

It's very clever, but Gecko (Mozilla, FireFox etc.) only.

> I think it might be a nice feature to offer, but not a priority. Most small
> groups can pretty much self-moderate by just having to be around each other.
> Plus, if there are functions for moderators to ban people anything more is
> unlikely to be needed until you get into something really big.

Chances are that my first attempt will not include the (self)
moderation. Administrators will still be able to 'pull' articles though.

> Again, I think this is something that would be quite nice, but not really a
> priority. Most groups are pretty local, and few people would really object to
> knowing there was something going on that they couldn't get to.

Yeah. I need to work through my list and categorise the tasks/features.

> I hope that helps the thinking :-)

It does, thank you.

Cheers,
--