[cumbria_lug] UserGroup...

trevor at haven.demon.co.uk trevor at haven.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 22 10:21:25 BST 2004

Schwuk said in a recent post ----
>Perhaps this is something the we could do as a LUG - I will be evicted
>from my current online 'home' shortly, along with Adam Pigg and Mat
>Brunt (who piggy-back off me). Having experienced the heady heights of
>having full root access to a box, I don't really want to go back to
>managed hosting. If the LUG were to lease a dedicated server, would
>people be interested in chipping in? It could certainly host your SASRA
>site, and I might be able to sell some hosting as well - esp. to the
>other people who are using my current server. All of these would make it
>cheaper for us LUG'ers. ---

Trevor replies (Grinning)

The cheapest Hosting is managed but
http://www.diyhost.co.uk/hosting.htm
£50 for twelve months and everything I think we would need.
I suspect that these are virtual servers using VMWare.

All others are asking from £99 to £129 per month mark
for a server. Circa £1550 per year, which is a lot, even
divided between ten people/clubs it is still £13 per person
each month! Assuming nobody changes his or her mind after
six months.

If we offer hosting to others then we would be better of having
a more formal structure than currently exists if for no other
reasons than to reassure people that we are not going to disappear
after three months and so we can have a single account from which
we can pay for a server.

Who gets to be root ?

Do we divi up disk space / bandwidth based on fiscal contribution?

Schwuk,
I am replying from work and I can only post once each day usually so
I tend to reply to all the posts that I feel I have something to
say about at the same time. I apologise for any confusion I may cause,
but I am a discordian and therefore causing confusion is a religious practice.

--
Trevor
All hail Eris
Eris at haven.demon.co.uk