[cumbria_lug] Scouts Badge

Jen Phillips jen at phillipsuk.org
Fri Aug 20 20:37:55 BST 2004

Well, given how quiet tonight's LUG meeting is (three of us) I figured we'd
have to sort some stuff out via this list instead.

The plan is to go to the Scouts in Carlisle on Thursday 16th September to get
them started on their stage 3 computer badge [1], and to get as much of the
practical side done as possible. For this we need as many people and borrowed
PCs as we can get. We're intending to go back on Thursday 23rd to help finish
up, collect written work, etc. Again, people and borrowed PCs would be good,
but less essential. If you want a handout (and handouts are generally a good
thing) get the orignal to me in plenty of time, and Scouts will arrange for
it to be photocopied.

The format of the evening will be a short talk to the whole group, then
splitting up into smaller groups to deal with the practical side of things.

There are several different sections, and I'd like volunteers to run them. I'm
intending to do some overall organising and be a general dogs body. Sections
1 and 2 are basically paper based, so I can probably do them.

1. Show a history of the Internet and how it works. Suggest how it may be used
in the future.
This is paper-based, so we don't need to deal with it on the night.

2. Decribe the advantages of using IT compared to manual systems in two of the
following: <snip>
Again, paper based. We just need copies of the list to hand out. I can arrange
that.

3. Using email, sending attachments, etc.
This is probably the most technically difficult, as it will require networked
computers set up with a mail server.

4. This section is a three of four, one of which is producing a map. That it
the most difficult and time consuming of the four, so I suggest that's the
one we don't do.

4.1 Prepare a presentation
I suggest we use the highest spec computers we have for this, and have a
selection of clipart on hand (my Dad has several CD libraries). Trevor
suggested a very simple presentation package, but I can't think what it was
now. It looked perfect for the job!

4.2 Simple database to be used by the Section eg, camp records, general
records.
This should probably have a bunch of made-up info for them to plug into a flat
sheet database.

4.3 make a map. We're not doing this one.

4.4 Simple spreadsheet to record subscriptions and expenses.
Again a bunch of made-up info to plug in, and add a couple of simple formulae,
such as autosum income and outoing, total profits.

So, any volunteers for anything?

Schwuk has volunteered to do the email (assuming he can make it, which he's
checking).

Russ hasn't expressed a preference.

I will be general dogs body, and deal with 1 & 2, liaising with Scouts, etc.

Hugs,

Jen

[1] http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/library/hqdocs/badges/staged-it-pr.htm