[cumbria_lug] New distro advice

Steve Turner Steve at fadges.demon.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 12:31:01 GMT 2004

At 00:42 10/02/2004, you wrote:
>Russ Phillips wrote:
>>I'm sure you'll all have your favourites, but I'd like reasons why I
>>should go with whatever you recommend, so that I can make an informed
>>choice :-)
>
>Ooooh... How to start a flame war 101 :)
>
>Well, I'll chip in with my personal favorite - Fedora (
>http://fedora.redhat.com/ ). It's Red Hat evolved. You get all the
>goodness of RH (stable, well integrated, good hardware/software support
>etc.), but Fedora has the added features of much higher revisions of
>software, a supposedly debian-like development process (we're still
>waiting to see this properly manifest itself), much improved
>patching/updating procedures, and a quicker release cycle. Yes, it's
>primarily Gnome based, but KDE is well integrated in the default install
>and you can download binaries for KDE 3.2 ( http://kde.org/download/ ).
>If you don't like Red Hat, then you probably won't like Fedora, but I've
>stuck with RH for a good time now, and I'll probably stick with Fedora
>for the forseeable future.
><clip.....>
>--
>Schwuk

Schwuk's beaten me to this one...  I have to admit that I'm a RH fan now
with a Fedora install, having had trouble installing a lot of other distros
in the past, but I think that's just been little oddities with my mixed
hardware.  Although, I have to admit, that I liked the install and general
config of both Mandrake and Suse despite the problems I had.