[cumbria_lug] New distro advice

Schwuk schwuk at schwuk.com
Sat Feb 14 20:28:28 GMT 2004

Roger Cope wrote:
> In the meantime, I have just realised that the black box that I have been
> using as a doorstop is actually a working laptop, which gives me a spare
> machine to put Fedora Core 1 on. Might do that this weekend...

Go ahead - I've found Fedora Core to be perfectly stable and useable.
I'm using it on a couple of servers as well.

Do you really need the paid support? I take you're meaning the Red Hat
Network - in which you can happily cancel your subscription. The
standard update tools in FC (yum) work great - there's no going back on
a RPM-based distro after you've tried yum. apt4rpm is a poor second...
They do need to work on a GUI for yum, as for package installation it's
not that hot (unless you like the command line), but for updating your
system it's really slick. You can even configure your own internal
distribution server and use that to update all your machines...

Cheers,
--
Schwuk