[cumbria_lug] Re: New distro advice (Michael Saunders) Adjunct

grouper at beehive.demon.co.uk grouper at beehive.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 21:59:30 GMT 2004

Very cogent points! Having gone from a "money is no object" environment to one
where I have to contemplate what I can do with a P2 machine with 32M of RAM,
(from my P4 2.0Ghz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD laptop! It's supposed to make up for the
pittance I get paid!))  I'm quite sensitive to how "bloated" current distros
are. I keep a wallet full of old, way past EOL distros because I can get them
to work reasonably well with old hardware. Big security shadow cast, of
course.  But sometimes I have no choice. It would be nice to have more choice
when it comes to getting acceptable performance from near-EOL hardware. Being
in the public sector, I'm spending your taxes, after all.