[cumbria_lug] Meeting announcement - Friday 27th February

Jen Phillips jen at phillipsuk.org
Mon Feb 23 22:30:34 GMT 2004

>   Suggested Topic last meeting was Software Management how to install and
> un-install Software from .Deb, .Rpm and even .Tar.gz files. We also
> were looking at other 'How to' type subjects with a view to doing some
> hands-on stuff (computers required).

I'll be bringing my PC, as I'd really like to learn more about package
management, dependency, etc.

It's currently running SuSE 8.1 pro, but I may change on Friday if someone can
suggest something that's good on package management & dependency. I suspect
simply upgrading to a newer SuSE would solve some of my immediate dependency
problems, but I'd like something easier to use on that side of things, if
possible. If not, I shall learn what I can on Friday :-)

The machine has documents & Windows partitions that I want left alone, but the
linux one can be played with as needs be. It's a Athlon 1900 with 512 RAM, in
case that matters for any distro suggestions.

Hugs,

Jen