[cumbria_lug] Content!

Russ Phillips avantman42 at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jul 13 14:52:11 BST 2004

Schwuk wrote:

> We've got our first content up on the site [1]!
>
> Russ has done a write-up of his and Jen's recent trip to Microsoft's
> 'Get the Facts' roadshow in Manchester [2] in the 'Reports' category.

Well, actually, it was written by me & Jen, but I put it on the web site
:-) It does say "A report from Jen & Russ ..."

> I've started off a new 'Introducing...' category with an introduction to
> Screen [3].

You mentioned doing a write-up of your Linode mail server. Can it pick
up mail from a standard ISP POP3 mailbox and allow serve that mail via
POP3? If so, I'd like to see that.

For those that expressed an interest in our idea to talk to local scouts
about FOSS & present them with a PC running Linux, we have a bit of an
update. Piggz gave us two almost-PCs at the last meet. A trip to Jen's
parents' allowed us to add floppies and CD-ROMs. We now have the bits to
make two 133MHz Pentiums, with 32MB & 64MB of RAM. Not sure about hard
drive sizes yet, but we have at least one 4GB hard drive.

Thanks to Micheal for suggesting IceWM [1], which looks ideal,
especially with the SilverXP [2] theme, which makes it look a lot like
Windows XP. We're still looking for 'killer apps', though, to try and
make sure that they use the Linux box, since they've already got a
Windows box.

We will, of course, write it up and add it to the web site once we've
done it, but the scouts won't be doing anything now until the autumn
term, so it'll probably be September or October.

Russ

[1] http://www.icewm.org/
[2] http://themes.freshmeat.net/projects/icewmsilverxp/