[cumbria_lug] POP3 proxy

Russ avantman42 at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Jun 22 21:56:27 BST 2004

Hi,

At work we have a Linux server, which has got ClamAV[1] installed. I
would like to use this box as a proxy for all incoming e-mail, so that
Clam can scan the incoming e-mails for viruses. However, I don't want to
set it up as a full-blown mail server, I just want incoming mails to go
through the server first.

I'd like to set up a POP3 proxy running on the server, which will allow
Clam to scan all mails for viruses before allowing them into our
network. I found P3Scan[2], which is a development of pop3vscan[3], and
it is *almost* what I want. The downside is that both these work as
transparent proxies, and have to run on the router, but we have an ADSL
router.

So, my question is this. Can anyone tell me where I can get an
open-source POP3 proxy that will allow me to use ClamAV to scan e-mails
for viruses? Or, failing that, can anyone tell me how to set up iptables
on the Linux server so that all Internet access from the Windows clients
goes through the Linux server?

Russ

[1] http://www.clamav.net/
[2] http://p3scan.sourceforge.net/