[cumbria_lug] Observations

trevor at haven.demon.co.uk trevor at haven.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 4 15:21:58 GMT 2004

Shuwck-
ESR has written a very good 'rant' on the usability of OSS:

Previously by Micheal Saunders :-
it's by far the slowest and most bloated Linux distro
I've encountered in six years of Linux use -- there's been absolutely
no effort to maintain Linux's image as a fast, compact and svelte OS.

Well I did read the 'rant' ESR has put up and I note that He wants,
A GUI for Everything,
Handholding,
HTML/XML context sensative Help for every possible option,
intelligent software
Q.A.
User testing

Now If a sendmail config gui was written to ESR's liking it would be
almost exactly the opposite to what Mike has asked for in every respect
a 60MB+ GUI Config tool with more 'XML' than you can store on a DVD.  Sendmail
owns the worlds most complicated and intimidating config file, there are books on it ! now
we need to try to reconcile these views

Micheal, quite rightly, is concerned about the quality, wants to reduce 'bloat'
and would like a 'svelte' OS.
ESR WANTS a config tool for everything that is not just a curses based
answer the questions type of thing soooo.
GUI add about 1000 lines of code to start plus ten lines per button/option/field
Context sensitive help -- double the app size
intelligent 'discovery' of hardware/software/services  add 2000 lines minimum
this could run to some big big numbers......
rectfy everything users don't like add 500+ lines
Q.A. add another 1000 lines in try/catch and assert
XML help in a browser window (mono does this in 'svelte' 57000 lines)
seperate gnome/KDE/blackbox/FVWM/mosix versions
Seperate distro versions Mandrake/SuSE/REDHAT/FEDORA/Debian/Cool linux .......

And finally the worst of ESR's requirments, that a gui app needs to be
'discoverable' now I am writting a gui app even as I read this important ongoing
discussion and I am aware of these points.  I don't have any users to trial
my stuff against (although I will). Now the app does have a hold-your-hand approach
but this is open-ended and could be extended infintly which would only serve to
anoy the hell out of Micheal....  (I might do that)

I do not intend to have a gnome version and a KDE version nor will I write for one
specific distro...  I will have ONE version that adapts to local conditions.
Windows users can go pay Microsoft for something or convert the app themselves or
start using Linux.

Solaris users might be able to run it.

I will be moving from 'tar-ball' to rpm. might look into making a 'deb' but no promises

I will concentrate on making it useable, but not waste time covering every possible option.

I will release about every three months. Release due now.

Trev trevor at haven.demon.co.uk

This site has been moved.
We'd tell you where, but then we'd
have to delete you.

Russ & Jen there will be a private mail later.