[cumbria_lug] Re: recent discussions

jenruss+jen at mail.plus.net jenruss+jen at mail.plus.net
Tue Mar 9 11:04:32 GMT 2004

Re: Linux Seminar

Russ and I are away that week, so we couldn't go anyway.

Re: Linux for newbies, low-spec machines, etc

I've just been looking at the latest Puppy Linux. It uses a window manager
that looks very like Windows 98, and is designed to run an a 486. It looks
and feels very straightforward and simple, especially if you know Windows
98. I think this may be a good distro to recommend to someone wanting to
try Linux, because it runs quite happily from CD, meaning they don't even
have to take the plunge and risk their current system. It does reckon to
need 128M RAM but the developers are working on lo-RAM options.

I'll give it a go on one of our low-spec machines some time to see how it
copes on that.

Hugs,

Jen