[cumbria_lug] Analogy...

Trevor Pearson trevor at haven.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 16 19:23:38 GMT 2004

 Schwuk <schwuk at schwuk.com> writes
>To quote the ThreePay advert:
>
>  "This is what the marketing people call an analogy."
>
>http://theregister.co.uk/content/30/36116.html
>
>I wonder what it could really be referring to... ;)
>
>Enjoy...
>
>Cheers,
Marketing people have their own version of English a extract
of the Marketing-English English-English phrase book which
shows the 'English' and 'Marketing' definitions of words
is reproduced below,

Analogy:

Eng. To describe something by reference to another which
is already understood and shares similar properties.

Mark. To describe something highly desirable to business
and to then imply, but not state, that this is what you provide.

Business:

Eng. 1. An organisation that provides goods or services
in exchange for payment.  2. The act of exchanging goods
and services for payment

Mark: 1. A general business preposition that should be used as often as
possible in a business sentence.
2. A business Organisation that provides business employment for
business marketing staff.

Cost:
Eng. Price of goods or services

Mark. This is a banned vulgar word, use of this word is a
sacking offence.

Customer:

Eng. A person or business who pays for
goods or services.

Mark. 1. A business person or business who has paid for
business goods or services in the past and therefore can be
expected to do so in the business future.

Fact:

Eng. A single statement about one property of one object
that is known to be correct.

Mark. Any number of business statements which have not been
publicly disprove.

Product:

Eng. Goods made or the outcome of work

Mark. Whatever it is that the business uses to do business.

Promotion:

Eng. : 1. Increasing in importance. 2. A better paid post
in employment

Mark. : Advertising, telemarketing and other techniques used
to increase the number of goods or services purchased and to
increase the number of customers.

Sale:

Eng. An exchange of money for goods or services

Mark. A temporary reduction in the cost of goods or services to
increase volume of business transactions / customers.

Science:

Eng. The application of mathematical precision in the
understanding of the universe.

Mark. Promotion of a product using an 'authority' figure
to validate claims made in respect of said product.

Services:

Eng.. Useful operations carried out by another party on
your behalf.

Mark.  The supply of promotional literature, Calendars
and telemarketing. Synonym for product.

Statistics:

Eng. Numerical methods associated with analyses of large
sets.

Mark. Numbers that are not amounts of money, 9/10,
average, the most popular, Percentages
Statistics prove <insert claim here>
--
Trevor Pearson