[cumbria_lug] Sagem F@st 800 Modem & RH8.0

Ian Linwood ian_linwood_clug at dinwoodie.freeuk.com
Fri Mar 19 22:29:36 GMT 2004

Hello Alex,

AF> I've got the appropriate driver off the Sagem website but 1 of
AF> the pre-reqs is the gcc-cpp rpm package.  I've googled it, I've asked Jeeves
AF> and been on all kinds of linux sites but I can't find the RH 8.0 version of
AF> the package anywhere.  Any help would be appreciated.

Ok, you asked for it - Tip 9734: don't eat yellow snow.
Not being a RH/Fedora sheep, I cannot help all that much, but what I
suspect it's after is the compiler and/or libs.

AF> Once that's sorted and all working, what should I be looking at in terms of
AF> anti-virus protection.

Mmm, contentious one this. Idiots will claim that Linux is virus free,
and there is no need for a virus checker. You'll be surprised to here
that I disagree.

Whilst not that prevalent, there are virus's/trojans that affect
Linux.  Rare, but they do exist. The main reason I do use a vurus
checker on Linux is that my boxes is that I use Linux as a file
server for my local LAN, which contains (shock horror) windows
clients!

The virus checker is mainly for checking windows borne shite.

AV is useless on a firewall.

AV is useful in a mail gateway. Especially if it can tie in with your
mail server.

I use Kasperky for Linux, but there are free alternatives, check
freshmeat/sourceforge, (the reason I do not use one of these, is that
I am not confident of their support/update frequency).

AF>  firewall settings or some other thing that could jump
AF> up and bite me.

Firewalls - used to do this for a living, from Checkpoint to IPF.  The
next person that tells me that TCP wrappers has secured their machine
will be shot a dawn.

Were all here willing to contradict one another and confuse the hell
out of you  :-)

--
Best regards,
 Ian