[cumbria_lug] Software patents - am I a crackpot?

Michael Saunders mike at aster.fsnet.co.uk
Tue May 25 15:35:11 BST 2004

On Sat, 22 May 2004, Russ wrote:

> I will be getting a ticket to Microsoft's "Full and frank slagging
> off of open source" event in Manchester.

But they WON'T slag it off. That'd be utterly pointless, and, most
crucially, it wouldn't make Microsoft money.

No, instead, they'll talk about how open source has a place, how
Microsoft has done some recent work in this field, how IP issues are
of supreme importance, etc. etc. etc. They'll discuss 'Shared Source',
throw around buzzwords, and get everyone hyped up.

Afterwards, a gang of 'open source advocates' will wander out and onto
the Net, talking about how Microsoft is 'changing its spots' and that
things aren't so bad; and meanwhile, Microsoft prepares new ways to
damage and destroy Linux and open source.

And Microsoft wins.

It astounds me that people are willing to waste their time with this
kind of business. The naivety of some open source developers is doubly
astounding. I mean, let's just be clear about this: Microsoft would
love nothing more than the total obliteration of our favourite OS and
apps. The company is funding a massive smear campaign against it, it's
spreading FUD and misinformation all around, and management has made
it publically clear that Linux is their 'number one threat'.

Those who seriously believe that Microsoft will never use its vast
patent arsenal against Linux and open source are worringly misguided.
Copying .NET, copying Longhorn features, making a big fuss about
Microsoft's latest open source opinions -- where is this going to get
us? Answer: a in whopping great mess from which we may never recover.

Microsoft isn't evil; it's just an oversized money-lusting company
that breaks the law. And it wants to stop people enjoying our OS and
software. Let's not forget that.

Michael Saunders
www.aster.fsnet.co.uk