[cumbria_lug] Viewing TV - kdetv, xawtv, etc.

Jorgen Stepputat jStepputat at bigfoot.com
Wed Oct 27 11:10:42 BST 2004

Does anyone use a TV card in Linux, and is it successful?

I recently put a TV card in. Most things work, but I'm not getting sound.

I think my wires are all correctly fitted - i.e. from the audio out on TV card
to the audio in on sound card.

I wonder if the problem isn't to do with limitations in the viewing software,
e.g. kdetv (I'm using Mandrake 10.1)? When you use the channel wizard it
comes up with a list of countries that excludes the United Kingdom. Also, the
list of TV standards (called "encoding") does not include the Pal-I standard
used in the UK and Ireland.

You can select Ireland, but the result is the same, presumably because it is
still set to the Pal, not the Pal-I standard.

If I remember correctly the one difference between the Pal standard operated
in Western Europe, and the one operated in the UK and Ireland, is that the
sound is broadcast in a different way.

I did find one reference to this via Google, but it was not really useful at
all. In any case, much the same happens in both xawtv and kdetv. I got  less
far in TV Time.

If anyone has solved this problem, please get in touch.

J. Stepputat