[cumbria_lug] FW: Job Vacancy

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Tue Aug 2 21:20:55 BST 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-30 at 14:46 +0100, Ian Linwood wrote:
> > Bloody hell Ian you work cheap
> >
> Hey, didn't want to appear greedy! Is 19k a fair wage anywhere now? I
> remember the national average wage in 1998 was 18.5k. Surely it's much
> more than that now?

Close to 23,000 (median average, that is)

> When I last worked near the London area, I was on 40k basic + bonuses,

A good proportion of the population of London are on national Minimum
Wage (around GBP11,000) or less.

This includes civil servants such as some of the botanical
horticulturists at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew.

As to this job, well there's gn.apc.org, in EC1, who have a
post open at a similar rate. Small companies, and workers'
organisations, offer lower wages but better working conditions.
Whether you are prepared to accept that depends a lot on your
personal position. (I agree that no-one is likely to move to
London from the North West for this post =)

 - Richard
--
Grants for Free Software development in the UK:
http://www.affs.org.uk/grants/