[cumbria_lug] Do LUGs still matter?

trevor at haven.demon.co.uk trevor at haven.demon.co.uk
Thu Dec 29 11:02:54 GMT 2005

LUG's still matter,

At our most recent LUG meeting we had two people who turned up on spec and asked to join, they were if memory serves interested in adapting Linux and using it in their organisation, Linux adoptation in the UK lags behind the adoptation in the US.   One thing that remains true is that if we are to see the same wide spread adoption of Linux in the UK as is occuring elswhere there needs to be some 'visability' of Linux and that is what the LUG groups provide.   We need as supporters of Linux to to do this as nobody else will.   It is in our interests to support the adoption of Linux and to encorage people who are interested since the more people use and become familliar with linux the easier it will become for businesses to adopt it.  The future success of Linux is in our hands and the hands of Linux Users.

There are more, many more, people on this mailing list than we have ever seen at a meeting (their loss, we have ad some really good meetings) and I suspect even more people using/trying Linux in Cumbria than are on our mailing list.   I mentioned last meeting that Derwent books in Workington stocks Suse on the shelves along with dozens of linux-centric books so somebody must be buying them...  Is it you ?

Localy we need to work to overcome the problems presented to us by the geography of the region, we are scattered over a wide area compared to the membership of many other LUGs.  I have previously asked what people want to do, either at a LUG meeting or organised from the LUG meeting but occuring outside of the meeting (such as LAN Partys).

 And hey, don't forget pizza, we get pizza too....

--
Trevor,
Trevor at haven.demon.co.uk
trevor.pearson at bcs.org.uk