[cumbria_lug] LUGRadio on tour

Jen Phillips jen at jenruss.plus.com
Wed Jan 19 17:20:15 GMT 2005

I sent this to the LUGRadio guys, and I thought I'd sent it to this list
at the same time, but somehow it didn't seem to work. Anyway:

I've been trying to think up interesting things to see and do in Cumbria
for the LUGRadio tour. After all, it's a fair distance to come.

It occurred to me that following the recent powercuts, it might be
interesting to visit the Willowholme Substation, the flooding of which
was the cause of a major power outage across Carlisle, which is all of
ten minutes walk from our house. We might also be able to arrange an
interview with one of the engineers who got it working again, United
Utilities seemed generally quite amenable to the local radio station at
the time.

I know it's not directly about Linux or open source, but I thought it
might be of general interest to geeks (after all, it's electricity that
runs all our boxes) and it's something quite specific to this area.

Thoughts?

Hugs,

Jen