[cumbria_lug] FW: Job Vacancy

Ian Linwood ian_linwood_clug at dinwoodie.freeuk.com
Sat Jul 30 14:56:43 BST 2005

> Bloody hell Ian you work cheap

Hey, didn't want to appear greedy! Is 19k a fair wage anywhere now? I
remember the national average wage in 1998 was 18.5k. Surely it's much
more than that now?

When I last worked near the London area, I was on 40k basic + bonuses,
etc, with a 20k relocation allowance. My collegues thought I'd been
taken for a mug because I'd just arrived from Scotland and didn't know
the going rate :-(. That was 5 long years ago.

No chances of salaries like that up here, but life is much better. Give
up this for the SE rat race? Been there, done that. Couldn't afford the
houses anyway...mind you, everywhere is getting like that. I bought my
country cottage in 84 for 17k. Valued about 18months ago at 120k+. I
just about fell over when told that, was expecting something like 40-50.
Silly money, an economy waiting to explode...just like it did in the mid
  eighties. When mortgage rates jumped up to 18%, thanks to John Major
and   a 'judicious' Conservative government. Now, that, is something to
sweat about, believe me. Imagine if that happened now!

Before I jump on my soap box, I'd beter scoot off....bye.