[cumbria_lug] Sony Vaio...

Alex Wray wrayal at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 14:31:29 GMT 2005

Just wondering if anyone could help me with this - googling hasn't
provided any answers :\

I recently decided to install FC3 on my Vaio (over a year, and I
finally got the courage ;) ). A bit of fiddling later, and it's all
setup fine. Haven't fiddled with wireless yet, but then I have little
need for it. I only have 1 issue: I've got my 3d up correctly, and it
works great. Start up UT2004, and I can play it full res (1280x1024),
all settings on high....for about 10 minutes. Then it gradually starts
to slow down. I'm pretty sure it's temperature related - if I turn off
UT for a while, let it cool, and run again, it'll be back up to speed.
(actually, it's bizarre - it never ran anything like this speed in
windows, even when cold). I'm not running it on carpet on anything
like that, don't worry.

Thing is if I'm careful I can stop it getting much hotter, but it
still makes it unplayable. It seems like some sort of dynamic
underclocking - once it's hot, even if I turn all the settings right
down, it still seems to stutter.

Anyone have any ideas?

BTW, my vacation dates are 25th March -> 18th April if anyone is
looking to have a meeting ;)

Wrayal