[cumbria_lug] Broadband and Linux

angie ahl angie at vertebrate.co.uk
Tue Mar 29 12:05:39 BST 2005

I hate those frog modems, nothing but a pain from what I've heard.

We bought our own 4 years ago just after the trial finished. It's an
alcatel speedtouch but not the frog, it's the ethernet router. It's
been a dream. We do have to reconnect once every 4 months or so.

There used to be a problem that sometimes when they switched someone on
you'd get booted off and have to reconnect, I don't know whether that's
still the case.

As for ISP's and support I wouldn't even think about it. When the trial
started in Kilburn there was officially no Mac support. So like a lot
of people we took a floppy down to the local internet cafe and did the
tests they required on them. Sent them back to BT and then configured
it on our macs. When they rolled out a year later Macs were supported
(after a load of us explained how much easier it is to config a mac for
DSL ;)

So use the internet to help solve problems as I guarantee a good google
will find better answers than the helpdesk guys have.

I just had to look it up. We first got DSL 1999-05-21 nearly 6 years
ago. I do go loopy every time we move and go back to modem while we
wait for the jumper to be applied at the exchange ;)

HTH
ANgie