[cumbria_lug] Video editing...

Dave Murphy dave at schwuk.com
Mon Feb 13 10:00:27 GMT 2006

Steve Turner wrote:
> Any recommendations for a good piece of video editing software, also
> need to capture from a camera over firewire.
>
> I'll need to output and encode at some point for DVD.

How appropriate... I've just been doing the same myself. I've been
playing with Kino (although not in depth), but the machine I was using
just isn't fast enough. My beefier machine currently only has XP Pro on
it, so I've been dabbling with Premiere (both Elements and Pro) and
Encore DVD just to "get the job done". Once I've done that I'm planning
on wiping the machine, putting Linux on and repeating the whole
capture/edit/burn process to see how the Free alternatives stack up.
I've no doubt a lot of good stuff is done with the Free ones, but I can
easily see why so many people say Adobe's software is the best (at least
for Windows), however I've found myself working around limitations &
strange behaviour in all of them.

Of course the whole exercise almost got blown out of the water yesterday
when I found a new Intel-based iMac 2GHz tucked under the shelf in
PCWorld. Don't need one. Don't need one.

Useful links:
http://www.kinodv.org/
http://www.tappin.me.uk/Linux/dvd.html (out of date, but still useful)
http://dvdstyler.sourceforge.net/