[cumbria_lug] Lurking too long.

euan.hogg at cumbria.ac.uk euan.hogg at cumbria.ac.uk
Thu Feb 23 14:57:07 GMT 2006

Hi,

> Ian Linwood wrote:
> For it to take off, we need a Linux (mmm, I mean integrated) GUI....

I'm not sure about a few things here, in what context do you see linux not
taking off?  It its many guises ( distros ) it is being used for
everything up to and including enterprise level platforms and clustering
with some big names putting a lot of investment into levering it in the
business market.  In many cases a GUI is irrelevant as it is after all
only an application, just as explorer.exe is on win32 platforms.  Much of
what needs to be done is done with scripts and I find I only need a GUI
these days as some software needs the libraries.  More often than not I'll
drop to a terminal window or wont start the xwindow in the first place and
log in to a $>.

> Lets face it folks, if you are not IT competent - it's a NON STARTER.

I agree to some extent, as each distro tends to do things different ways,
whether system V ish or BSD ish or hybrid.  But a GUI just prevents you
seeing whats under the hood. You still need to know about processes,
threads, logs, buffers, blah blah, etc. and thats where many GUIs fail.
And with the vast majority of the world using the Windows/Explorer GUI it
would take some special kind of marketing for those people to want to
change.

Perhaps Ian, you could explain what you mean by 'an integrated GUI'.  As
opposed to a disintegrated one, perhaps?

Kind regards,

Euan