[cumbria_lug] Lurking too long.

Trevor Pearson trevor at haven.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 24 20:33:07 GMT 2006

> I agree here.  I dont see how any of the systems mentioned have a different
> desktop experience than with a linux box.  All you get is crappy harware
> support.  I'd probably say that with the way linux X is moving at the moment,
> most distros will have a very eye candy friendly desktop in the next few
> months. What bizarre about this is the direction the top 3 distros are going
> (feel free to redefine top 3 though)
>
> Suse/Novell - Xgl - First to market but with something that was never meant to
> be a user product
>
> Redhad/Fedors- Aigl - A more interim solution than Xgl and less of a step
> change, probably because they dont like that Xgl was developed in house.
>
> Mandriva - Xegl - The next step after Xgl, not ready yet, but is supposed to
> be the end-user version of Xgl.
>
> I dont know if this is going to cause a rift between the distros, but im sure
> everything will continue to work just fine, after all, its just X and the
> apps are built on the toolkits.
>
> That reminds me, isnt X amazing!!  We're talking about a 20 year old
> technology that is flexible enough to have new stuff added all the time, be
> fully 3d hardware accelerated and still be backwards compatible.
>
> Anyway, thats my bit.
>
>>Cheers,
I'll be a Wind0Ze user afore I start with either 'My distro's better
than yours' or rise to inciting threads.  The eye-candy desktop dream
that so many are busy beavering away upon look to be excellent my own
inabilility to compile the damn things aside (old distros and nvidia
graphics card).

AIGL vs Xgl, Now compiz *should* run on AIGL too with a bit o
tweakingness and the AIGL crew arn't going to have to rewrite the entire
X server (so you can switch eye-candy off) (which is what XGL have done,
more or less) so I'll keep my eye on AIGL specialy as Core 5 is due out
in a couple of weeks.....

Damn tis time I did upgrade, that'll be a world 'o' hurt I didn't need

Trevo.

--

Trevor Pearson

Home: 01900 62373