[cumbria_lug] Linux use

Bob Groves bobgroves at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Dec 6 12:17:02 GMT 2007

On Thursday 06 December 2007, Peter Normington wrote:
>  Just wondering what people up here use Linux for?
> More and more :-)

OpenSUSE 10.3 on an old IBM A20M laptop plus my Packard Bell 3034, SUSE 9.3 on
an old PB Pulsar 600, and Mandriva on an Acer laptop. Just used for day to
day work (I teach adults) and running APTT. The Pulsar runs Apache and my
students test-run their websites on it.

> Ubuntu on (file-, print-, web-)server
> SUSE and (k)Ubuntu on desktop/laptops
> I look after a number of web apps, most of which are on Linux hosts
> (also some on OpenSolaris)
> Trying to shake off MS shackles in the office; Outlook is still used
> though would like to ditch soon; still have to use Access for
> collaboration with colleagues/clients; familiarity with Fireworks
> means I often revert to that for graphics work.  Most other things are
> covered very well by Linux-based apps.
> Peter
>
> On 06/12/2007, David Priestley <stig-clug at spodbox.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Just wondering what people up here use Linux for?
> > I've got an Asterisk PBX, IPCop firewall, laptop & server.
> >
> > Been playing with Linux for a few years (1992)
> > Dropped off the Linux ride for a while in the late 90's.  Climbed back
> > aboard in 2000.
> >

> > DP

Bob Groves BA Hons (Ed) LCGI MAPTT MInstLM MIITT MIFL
General Secretary, Association of Part-Time Tutors (APTT)
Email: secretary at aptt.org.uk
Legal information with regard to this email can be viewed here:
http://www.aptt.org.uk/e-disclaim.html

APTT Website: http://www.aptt.org.uk
APTT E-Learning: http://www.aptt-elearning.org.uk
APTT, Wallsend Peoples Centre, Memorial Hall
Frank Street, Wallsend, Tyne & Wear NE28 6RN

Personal website: http://www.bobgroves.net
(Written using Kmail in GNU/Linux OpenSUSE 10.3)

==== Random Interesting or Humorous Quote of the Day ====
Just close your eyes, tap your heels together three times,
and think to yourself, `There's no place like home.'
		-- Glynda