[cumbria_lug] It lives!

Trevor Pearson trevor at haven.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 15 17:38:30 GMT 2007

Adam Pigg wrote:
> Linux Shminux
>
> Didnt you read that vista is out......
> PiggZ
WOW, I mean give me a second to get over the shock of seeing traffic on
the list,
of course the one night it all kicks off I'm stuck in the office with a
broken tape
library till 7:30 this morning.

Vista, you mean the latest attempt at an OS from that offensive company
? with the 'new' gui
that isn't quite as good as compiz, and user access controls that are
only half as good as the standard
unix ones since they havn't got 'groups' and 'roles' yet, still they're
catching up, perhaps in the next version in a few years there will be
the better file system like we have already, and they could try to catch
up with security by introducing groups and roles and even a system as
complete as selinux who knows it might even come with a compiler and
some office software

Hey, at least with linux you won't have 'wild' Bill Gates declaring your
a naughty pirate and  closing your OS down till you pay, call that a bonus.

Anyone tried songbird yet? It's still in 'development' stage but it's a
rather nice media player and like so much FOSS available to you on any
platform and not tied to just one.

Course not all free software is available on all platforms take f-spot
for example the developers say they don't believe in producing a version
for those proprietary systems as they think it challenges the ethos of
the free software movement.  Now I know that some of you are pragmatic
but do you think that making open source applications available on non
open platforms is a good thing because it brings the idea of free
software, and good quality examples to a broad audience and serves to
educate people about the issues, or does it do harm by making the most
important  free software, the operating system itself, redundant and
allow people to remain using the proprietary system ?

I await your sarcasm, musings and insults

Hey yeah lets get a meeting together, we could have a right good argument

Trevor