FOSS was "[cumbria_lug] It lives!"

Malcolm Logan blinkingeye at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 09:54:52 GMT 2007

I dont normally get sucked into a Windows vs Linux debate... and I'm trying
hard not too with this one. Suffice to say that I havent had experience of
large scale FOSS equivalents to Exchange or AD that work so competently...
Mind you I havent taken the time to implement LDAP or RH's Directory thingy
or taken the time to find out about an Exchange replacement (I hear Zimbra
is good), so, if someone has I'd love to hear about it...

I have no problem with FOSS on proprietry OS's as some people who havent
used FOSS think that it's all 'mickey mouse' stuff written in someones
bedroom. So for those people its great that they get to see FOSS in action.
Its also great that Enterprise class FOSS gets out there wether its on Linux
or not.

Oh I wish I hadnt started this email now... Honestly, in my mind, its horses
for courses. I'm a Linux Sys Admin who also looks after Checkpoint firewalls
and occasionally Win 2003 and Exchange. Somethings work better on one
platform. But I relish the choice. I couldnt function without Linux. I'd get
by without Windows. But I wouldnt be able to do anything without FOSS on
both platforms.