[cumbria_lug] Perl or Python: a challenge

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 20 16:40:01 GMT 2007

> Your challenge for today is this.  Give me a good reason why I should
> learn Python, and a virtual Pan-galactic Gargleblaster for any smooth
> talker who persuades me!

Hello Rosie,

The answer is you don't need an excuse to learn another language.
In fact you should try at least one new one every year ;-)

Which language depends, of course, upon what you want to do
with it. Python has good XML handling, can do more or less
anything that Perl can (in a way that some might argue as
better, but others won't enjoy), is great for scripts, web apps
glue programs, and regular apps as well.

It's fairly easy to learn, and well-supported by tutorials,
courses, books, user groups and conferences. There are
many great Free Software python apps to join in hacking
on, and (like Perl) your 10-line app will do more than a
200 line C app.

However, as I said it depends upon what you want to do -and
upon personal taste. Ruby may suit you better - it could
be described as Perl meets Smalltalk ;o)

Find a project you like the look of, that's written in Python,
and spend a bit of time with the code, and see if you want
to take it further :-)

 - Richard

Richard Smedley,                                         rs at m6-it.org
Technical Director,                                     www.M6-IT.org
M6-IT CIC                                        +44 (0)779 456 07 14

Sustainable Third Sector IT solutions. PRINCE2[TM] Project Management
Web services * Back-ups * Support * Training & Certification * E-Mail

M6-IT is a Community Interest Company, limited by guarantee.
Registered in England & Wales,               Registration No: 6040154
11 St Marks Road, Stourbridge, West Midlands, DY9 7DT

Northern Office: 4, Hollins Green, Bradwall, Cheshire, CW10 0LA.