[cumbria_lug] Perl or Python: a challenge

Trevor Pearson trevor at haven.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 28 22:53:06 BST 2007

Hey,

sorry I havn't got into this I've been busy with this little problem
thing, at work, its like this...

I've listed unix and perl as 'skills' in the online skills toolkit web
app and as a result I've got a new
project.  There's this application that is written in perl and the guy
who wrote it and has looked after it
for the last ten years or so (with no one bothering to check up on him
as long as the app worked) suddenly
turned around and replied to a 'voluntary separation' offer (he's at
retirement age) so someone
had to take over looking after this app.  I've just had a quick run
through the code, and oh dear me !

So I have no choice, it's perl, for this job.  It must be nice when you
can decide which language your going to use, sigh.