[cumbria_lug] Perl or Python: a challenge

Trevor Pearson trevor at haven.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 29 10:54:09 BST 2007

Angie Ahl wrote:
>> I've just had a quick run through the code, and oh dear me !
>>
>> So I have no choice, it's perl, for this job. It must be nice when
>> you can decide which language your going to use, sigh.
>>

> Gahhh. Please don't blame bad code on the language.
>
> As the perl people say "there's more than 1 way to do it". Some of
> those are going to be bad ;)
>
> Angie (Yes I'm a perl girl).

It's not the language that's the problem, It's the way this code has
occurred. Back in the mid nineties or thereabouts a utility was written
to pass e-mails from one system to another with a little checking and
reformatting, then a second system decided it could use it, it was still
internal to DEFRA with two customers. So then a farmer asked if he could
use it to send data in and for some reason it was made publicly
available to a few select big agricultural businesses, as a trial. Now
it processes about sixty million records a year from thousands of
sources, Farmers, Cattle markets, slaughterhouses, vets, trading
standards, government labs, BCMS. At each stage someone has added or
altered the code to work, added an extra program in and the like. So now
we have a monster, it works, but we don't know why it does some things.
Now we will need to migrate it to a new platform since the box it's been
running on is falling apart and over twenty years old, as is the OS and
mail program.

Today a farmer buying an off-the-shelf farm management package will get
a form to complete to register himself to the system and we return a
unique i.d. which he pops into the software and starts using. We would
prefer to kill this system and migrate to a wep-app but with so many
users actually using it it's not going to be easy

Trevor.