[cumbria_lug] Cumbria Digest, Vol 157, Issue 1

Roger Cope roger.cope at morphaniel.com
Mon Nov 2 21:51:32 UTC 2009

Mark Wickens wrote:

>> I did this in a VM recently without issue. I was amazed how well it
>> went. The main issue with upgrades is the 3rd party apps you have, the
>> more you have the more likely you end up borked.
>
> It's just a word of caution really to make sure you're prepared should the worse happen.
> As it was I had only recently installed 9.04 so it should have been a fairly clean upgrade.
> I've just come from doing a lot of work on OpenVMS systems and *every* install and upgrade
> is clearly labelled *make sure you have backed up everything*.
> It is a little disappointing, and there doesn't appear to be a solution as of yet.
>
> Here is a post with the symptoms:
>
> http://ubuntu-virginia.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1298131
>
> Some people have had success booting into the rescue environment and continuing
> the install using apt-get dist-upgrade, but this didn't work for me. I hasten to
> add that the disk was still perfectly readable, and with enough time probably could be
> brought back to bootable, but really, I don't have the time or patience any more...
>
> Regards, Mark.

I upgraded my CentOS unit at the weekend via the autoupdate. All went
well except VMWare broke. Quite how RedHat can release RHEL and not
support VMWare is beyond me but there you are. Presumably they'd be
happy if we all switched to Xen (oops... KVM...). Thankfully, the Player
doesn't require the GCC downgrade in the readme and can be made to
compile into the kernel with a minor source code edit. Worth it though -
the new Player interface is great!