[cumbria_lug] PostgreSQL

Luke Antins lantins at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 19:26:58 UTC 2009

I've been reaching for Postgres a lot lately.
I come from mostly using MySQL.

The most difficult thing to begin with was getting my head around the
different structure/approach used by Postgres.
Once cracked, it's been pretty smooth sailing =)

Some of the reasons I took a look at Postgres to begin with:
      - liked the look of the options available to help with scalability
in the future.
      - sequences are much _much_ nicer then auto_incrementing id's
      - I know too many people with large numbers of rows MySQL
databases, and they have all kinds of pain.
        (i know, its subjective...)
      - from _my_ performance tests, on _my_ apps and what _im_ trying
to achieve. Postgres is much quicker, especially when the number of rows
starts going up.
      - I prefer the indexing in Postgres over MySQL.

I've got absolutely no-where near as much 'production time' with
Postgres as I do MySQL, so it could still all go pair and I'll hobble
back to MySQL.
But I honestly don't think that will happen.

pgAdmin is definatly worth checking out, its a GUI program similar to
phpMyAdmin, very handy for fiddling about with your database.
Anything else like backups / loading SQL I do from the command line.

So there you have it, some of my ranting thoughts =)

Luke