[cumbria_lug] Another Meetup?

John Patterson john at johnpatterson.plus.com
Thu Jul 15 19:39:57 UTC 2010

Hello,

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF CUMBRIA LUG?
When living in Buckinghamshire I belonged to Maidenhead IGPUG but as
Commodore faded away we morphed into a PC club but still with some Amiga
activity back then.  The whole ethos of this group was mutual assistance
with PCs and Amigas.  *Is this what Cumbria LUG does for Linux users? *
If so I would like to attend your meeting.

LINUX NEWBIE
I am a newbie to Linux in my late 60's, at present dual-booting XP and
Ubuntu 10.4 Desktop but I have dabbled with earlier Ubuntu and Kubuntu
desktop distros over about a period of three years.  I've also had a
look at other distros using LFX and other magazine's live DVDs.  I'm not
a newbie to computing however, I go back to the days of 8 bit machines
and needing to write our own programs in Basic as useful commercial
software had not then been invented, apart from a few games.  As (IBM)
PC 386s first became available, I ditched 8 bit and was an early user of
Windows 3.0 and still occasionally find knowledge of DOS useful for
tinkering.

LINUX DABBLER FOR YEARS
While I have been dabbling with Linux for several years, I cannot get
either of my Canon printers to work with  the buntu family of distros
and until I can produce printed output Linux will not be a productive
tool for me.  Now if someone was to say that using xyz distro will make
short work of this problem, or to say they are the administrator of a
large network with several Canon laser printers and this is how you do
it, that would change everything.  BTW I have visited many of the forums
and like most users of Canon, have got nowhere to date.

Please keep me in the loop.

John Patterson
*Penrith*