[cumbria_lug] Projects for the group (Adma Pigg)

Trevor Pearson trevor at haven.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 12 22:00:28 UTC 2010

The story so far...

>>> Hey Listees
>>>
>>> Due to my enjoyment of my FIRST cumbria lug meeting, I thought I may
>>> suggest that we start up our own project. I'm all for suggestions as
>>> to what we could attempt to create (some kind of Linux Frankenstien
>>> Monster maybe?).
>>>
>>> Mike
>>>
>> I propose anyone with even a fleeting interest in databases become my guinea
>> pigs and test kexi + reports in a real world environment.
>>
>> ;)
>>
>> Adam
>
> Sounds Interesting, what is "Kexi + Reports what would you implement
> it for/what does it do?
>
> Mike

 > Kexi is the koffice database application, it has a reporting
component similar to that in ms access that i develop :)
 >Adam P.

Well I haven't looked at Kexi for a while, in truth Linux still lacks a
production quality desktop database app, so if we do want to do a group
project of the challenging kind then there is a gap to fill.  Kexi is
about the best we have Open office doesn't yet do simple csv imports
or connect to other tools, I haven't tried to do anything ambitious with it.

I have some csv files and a database analysis from an old, and now out
of date and meaningless DB from many years ago.  I can't yet rebuild the
same DB on a Linux desktop app. Sadly I can't even get close.

What is missing ? Referential integrity, usable forms, reports. To be
brutal the state of affairs is not impressive, FLOSS is more than ten
years behind in this arena with very few efforts to correct it.

Trevor.