[cumbria_lug] verifying postal media

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Jun 12 11:58:58 UTC 2011

Andrew wrote:
>I may also be missing something but I dont have the ISO file the
>disk was created with as the disk was posted from a distribution
>vendor.
>
>What Im stuck on is how to compare the contents of the disk with the
>published SHA256 image checksum?

How about "sha256sum -b /dev/sr0" and compare the output with what's
been published.

If you use check mode, you'd need to edit the signature file so that
the filename matches what you are testing. Ie, if the originator did
a hash of "foo.iso", it will fail if you try a comparison later with
a file called "bar.iso" - I'd expect it to complain it can't find
foo.iso.

--
Simon Hobson