[cumbria_lug] Hi everyone, I'm new to the mailing list...

Hassan "Haz" Williamson haz at hazrpg.co.uk
Thu Mar 31 10:53:49 UTC 2011

On 29 March 2011 07:57, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:

> Welcome. I get the impression there aren't many of us in here !

I have a feeling there's more than you think still around it would seem. :)

On 29 March 2011 13:36, Richard Smedley <smedley358 at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Hello Haz

Hello to you too, and to everyone! \o/ Thanks for all the replies guys.

On 29 March 2011 19:00, Mark Wickens <mark at wickensonline.co.uk> wrote:

> The list is very quiet - I guess linux is so good everyone works out their
> problems without having to ask!

Seems that way doesn't it!

> Welcome! We should think about another get together, preferably in a pub I
> can stagger home from!

I must say, that sounds like an excellent plan! We should get right on that
batman!!

I will be hosting another DEC Legacy Event here in Windermere on October 8th
> & 9th if anyone is interested in coming along - the website for the last
> event is still up with some photo galleries: http://declegacy.org.uk - I
> will post a link to the new website when I pull my finger out and get one
> organized!

Sounds interesting, might have to look that up. Didn't realise we had stuff
like that being hosted at our end of the woods. I keep getting this
impression that Cumbria is just a dead-end for most things!

On 29 March 2011 19:33, Derek Kaye <dezza at dezzanet.co.uk> wrote:

> I've been lurking for a while. Born in Cumbria and now working as a
> PHP developer in Lancaster.

Yeah, born in Cumbria here too. Moved around a fair bit though (lived in
Saudi for about 6 years because my parents had work out there at one point).
Been living in Carlisle again for about 6-7 years now though. PHP
development is right up my street, what sort of things do you do? Is it just
solely PHP development, or do you do other bits and pieces too?

Also noticed you have GPG setup too, I've just recently been messing around
with that so that I could get Launchpad setup properly, along with SSH
encryption too so that I could use things like launchpad and github for
downloading/uploading to various projects. What e-mail client is it your
using? Since I have everything forwarded to a gmail account and seems all
the GPG plugins/addons for browsers seem to have died off.

On 30 March 2011 07:53, Richard Smedley <smedley358 at btinternet.com> wrote:

> I've got a couple of SGI boxen going spare
> if anyone's dedicated enough to revive them.

I wish I knew what an SGI machine was! I'm guessing its a server of some
description, at home I use a DELL server I managed to get for around £150
(brand new)... does a great job for what I need it for.

I think I've managed to reply to everyone! Nice to see people are still
around, and still using Linux :). Also, much thanks for the replies... was
hoping this LUG wasn't /quite/ dead yet (and thankfully it isn't!).

--
Regards,
Haz