[cumbria_lug] Meeting dates?

info at nomoregrapes.com info at nomoregrapes.com
Tue Jan 24 15:39:40 UTC 2012

Hi,
I would not worry about your meetings being big and prepare accordingly.
Why not meet in a pub(or cafe etc) that is open anyway? If you take a
friend/partner then it's not a loss if nobody turns up. Have some
pre-arranged object like a penguin or a certain geeky book on the table
so new comers can identify the group.
Yes it's much better if people say they are coming, and text/phone you
if they can't make it(or are late) at the last moment. But just in case
they don't, set yourself a time or drink limit (maximum 60minutes after
the start time) at which you give up if nobody has turned up.

Moving the topic on...
I actually live in the North East (Durham).
I've been given a tiny bit of travel money to tell people in the North
West about OpenStreetMap and encourage anyone to get involved. If you
don't know already, in short it is the wikipedia of maps. Due to it
being about data, not just arty maps, it has a lot of open source
software built for it. In it's early years(2005 onwards), talks at LUGs
in the South got a good reception. So I wondered if Cumbria LUG might be
interested in meeting an OpenStreetMap surveying addict and bad
programmer but Linux user.

I'm thinking I might make my trip in early-March, and it will be around
the Carlisle area. If you have a meeting then, I could try and
co-ordinate with it. It doesn't have to be traditional talk style. I
could just join you in the pub and chat about OpenStreetMap, with
demos/help on editing using my laptop (wifi preferable but not required).

Gregory Marler
http://www.livingwithdragons.com