[dundee] SOT Office /OpenOffice.org problems

Fionnbar Lenihan dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Thu Nov 21 16:08:01 2002

A bit stuck with this as can't work on a paper I'm supposed to be
writing without access to OpenOffice

I have been using SOT Office for a few months now and found it OK.  It's
a commercial variant of OpenOffice and uses the same files.

I suffered a couple of crashes this am caused by trying to copy files to
a floppy disk formatted FAT.  Copy went fine using a command line and
the journalling filesystem (ext3) seemed to be happy enough about
everything.

Anyway I went ahead and used SOT office for a bit then saved my
presentation into powerpoint and read it under Win4Lin Powerpoint. All
fine.

When I tried to start SOT office I was then met with a funny error
message about expecting unary files.

I assumed that the crash had corrupted some SOT files so I uninstalled
(the uninstall script ran fine) and installed OpenOffice.org 1.0.1 as
root with no difficulties using the text based "install" script rather
than the graphical.  Then did a local install as me.

Running the starter script then gives the same error as with SOT office

./soffice: /bin/basename: cannot execute binary file
./soffice: /bin/basename: cannot execute binary file
./soffice: [: =: unary operator expected
./soffice: /bin/basename: cannot execute binary file
./soffice: /usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.0/program/.bin: No such file or
directory
./soffice: exec: /usr/local/OpenOffice.org1.0/program/.bin: cannot
execute: No such file or directory

The "setup" script in my home directory produces the same error message
but then runs! The spadmin script produces the same error message and
does not run.

I'm running Mandrake 8.2 on a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop with 500MB RAM.
The Kernel is the patched one that the Win4Lin install script creates.

Would be grateful for any help
Fionnbar