[dundee] How do you do yours?

Mark Harrigan dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Fri Apr 4 21:17:01 2003

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 09:03:07PM +0000, Wm. G. Urquhart wrote:
> On 4 Apr 2003, Andrew Clayton wrote:
>

> > I presume, dual boot with Slowaris....
>
> Hi Andrew,
>
> Is there anything I should know here, as I don't think the above is a
> typeo. The Sun hardware I have is very, very respectable in the
> performance dept.
>
> --
> William.

I think it's just a little bit of the old Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt. :)
Some people do regard Solaris as slow, it's often down to the
comparitive performance of Sun processors vs competitiors which is frequently
less, however the reality of the situation is usually much different as the
Sun systems benefit from good internal system bandwidth and excellent
scalibility.

Intel Linux people often think Solaris is slow because of the poor
performance of gcc under the environment.

Essentially I suspect Andrew was merely extracting the urine...

PS Andrew: If you weren't please correct me, but I've never heard of any huge
problems with the platform that have any basis in fact.