[dundee] IRC, irc.oftc.net, #tlug

Tom Stott dundee at lists.lug.org.uk
Fri Aug 22 21:23:00 2003

Hello all,

I thought i would take this opportunity to send a wee email to once
again pimp the tlug irc channel, it was discussed that maybe they are
some folk out there that have never used IRC before, so here is a very quick
and rough guide!

Clients
   xchat - a nice easy to use (but powerful) client, available for
           windows and Gnu/Linux.  http://www.xchat.org
   Irssi - one for the cli, http://irssi.org/

there are many others available but these two are a good example of
whats out there. (others include bitchx, epic, Kirc and of course the
chatzilla part of mozilla).

So after installation,
(where the irc server is irc.oftc.net and the channel is #tlug)

1) for Xchat,

	Fire up xchat

> It gives you a server list window.
>
> Lets create a new entry.
>
> Click on "New Server"
>
> and make the new window look like the attached screen shot.
>
> Click "OK"
>
> Then you can just double click the the commits entry in the server
list and kick back.... and wait for the commits to happen, pretty
frequently when I've looked.

please see attached .png for a screenshot.

2) for irssi,

	fire up irssi,
and use the "/server irc.oftc.net" command (without the quotes)
and then when the final bit of text has finished loading (the MOTD -
message of the day) use the,

"/join #tlug" command.

and thats about as basic as it gets - but its good enough to get you
into the channel, :)

as you maybe have guessed, IRC commands are all prefixed by / and this
link points to a very useful, basic commands list,
http://www.newircusers.com/ircmds.html

and hopefully thats that excuse for not seeing more of you in the
channel. and if that wasn't the reason then why the bloody hell not? ;)

Cheers to Andrew Clayton for the xchat bit and screen shot,

    Good luck,

Tom
tom@linuxdisco.co.uk

-please note - the mailing list returned this post due to the 80kb of
screenshots i had attached, it told me that i should make it less than
40KB. :| . So Andrew is hosting the .png's and you can link to them at
http://digital-domain.net/lug/xchat.png

http://digital-domain.net/lug/irssi.png